So, I am now 5 days post op and doing pretty well...though most of you know how the process went, I thought I would give a bit of a recap...
Thursday, April 22 -- The BIG DAY
I picked my mom up at the airport the night before and we slept at Gmas. I slept pretty well and woke up at 6:30 because we had to be at the hospital by 8:30. I showered and got ready and then Mom and I drove to the airport. We got to the hospital, parked and went in...all a bit of a blur...I was extremely nervous and anxious (as I am before I do anything big), asking my Mom and Gma "do you think I should do this..?" They were both great...my mom said "we can do whatever you want, it is not too late to change your mind" upon which I said "that was not a good answer." I knew I wanted and more importantly needed to do this, but I was scared...
So, I was called back into the preop room and changed into my gown, socks and hair net thing...I was SOO nervous and scared..people kept coming in, confirming my name, surgery, etc. everyone was very nice but i was so anxious..my mom was great (Gma stayed at home because she was sick)...Mom had me laughing as we were talking about children's names that I liked (that she doesn't) and she was making funny sayings...needless to say, thank goodness she did because it made the time go faster..The doctor came in and my mom met her..mom liked her, which was good...we talked about one big incision versus 5 small ones..she said that she recommended 5 based on my torso position and also that it was safer and better for younger women who will have children...funny because that statement really stuck with me and made me smile...her assumption that I would have children...something that I have always wanted/assumed, but for some reason, to hear her say it reminded me of one of the reasons i wanted to do this..so I could get healthy and hopefully one day have children..
So, then it was time...I cried saying goodbye to my Mom (are you surprised? i had already cried probably twice that day)... I spoke with both of my brothers who were so sweet and my dad/friends the night before..i knew I had love and support going in, which meant so much to me....so, as I walked down the hall, I heard my mom screaming "I love you, Meghan..you will do great." i heard her but couldn't look back because I was afraid I would lose it. So, they walk me into this room, very cold, scary, lamps, tools everywhere..four people in scrubs and masks...they had me lay down..I started really crying.."i'm soo scared..I'm sorry but I'm sooo scared...I know I'm a baby" It was just soo scary as they put these things on you and basically strap you in..the woman anestheisologist was really nice and started asking me where I was from...the last thing I remember was saying a Hail Mary because I was scared and then I was out....woke up in recovery briefly, very groggy and remember seeing my mom..then was put in my permanent room...I think most of you have heard the antics of how horrible the nursing staff was, so I will not harp on it..lets just say thank goodness for my mother and the Carlysle hotel...
In terms of recovery, was in a lot of pain post surgery, my incisions and a lot of shoulder pain, but it was never really above a 7 out of 10 (and I don't do well with pain)...Thursday into Friday were the worst..I'm sorry I didn't call/take calls..I really was just in and out on meds, sleeping the whole time...poor mom was so tired as well..but, i felt the love and prayers..i really did..So Friday was basically a sleeping day. Saturday, I got up for a few hours and sat in my Grandpa's chair..I love his chair..it makes me feel close to him..while I wish he was still in it, it does comfort me to be in it and feel his love..my Grandpa was so amazing and I know that he has been watching down on me..I think he would think this was a good decision and would be proud of me...and how great my Gma has been...oh how I adore her...Sunday was a pretty good day...I was up and around more and took a shower! woo hoo...was then just taking pain medicine mostly at night..Monday was good as well, up and about, walking around the house, etc. I still get tired and a bit sore but basically only taking med at night...also on Monday, a huge breakthrough..i went to the bathroom..sorry to talk about it but I don't think I can communicate what a relief it was! Today was hard because my mom left at four...but, in terms of recovery was a good day. I was very up and active, helping her pack, and then driving her to the airport with Gma...I came home and took a nap after..have to say it tuckered me out and I was sore after but was a good step in my progress...
So, that is an update on my progress..doing well and trying to do a bit more each day..am definitely healing well...love to all..
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment