Thursday, December 30, 2010

Canyon Ranch Day #1..Amazing

So it is 9:30 and I am winding down the day in bed..ahhhhh....today has been awesome. Liz and I took the 7:15 am train out of the city and arrived in Albany around 9:45. Someone from the Ranch (I feel so silly saying "the Ranch" yet love it at the same time!) came and drove us, an ~45 min ride. We got in around noon and were lucky to be able to check into our room early. We also took a tour, despite the fact that Liz has been here so many times (she even got a hat to commemorate here 5th trip here..lucky duck!), she is great about doing all the new things.

Our nice driver

I have been very good about drinking water!! not my strongest suit so glad to focus on this!

We started the day with lunch..I had salmon cakes and a side of cottage cheese...well, the band is definitely back! I love on the menu that the food looks not only delicious, but has all the calorie, fat, carb, protein and fiber info...the salmon cakes were delicious..I def was only able to eat one of them and I was only half way done when Liz finished her meal (Liz does not know about band..love her, but per previous posts, not ready to tell friends..only 3 know)...they were going down fine though. I decided to have a few bites of cottage cheese..boom, PB. not fun but made it through. the food is quite tasty though.

At 2pm, I went to a "Gotta Dance" class..it was fun..we did some samba, African and rock and roll dance. I think it was a good way to start things out..I broke a sweat but was not dripping (which I like). I then went to Core Power Hour in the pool...i was one of the only younger people there, but let me tell you it is HARD! great use of my core and definitely felt the burn. it was a mix of cardio and strength. at 4pm, I decided to give a lecture a try, mindful eating was the theme (I didn't want to leave and not try some lecture). I wouldn't say it was anything ground breaking, but it also put some of the good and healthy thoughts related to food at the forefront..also helped me to choose my word for the year, which I will post about tomorrow. Finished the day with a stretch and relax class, which was nice and good for me. Not sure if I have posted about it, but I have a bad back..a herniated disc, that acts up here and there.I have done physical therapy and had 3 epidurals..As I lose weight I know it will only help...my back is def very tight and a bit sore tonight but I"m hoping that I heal a bit overnight.

Dinner was amazing..had shrimp scampi that came with pasta marinara..I ate all the shrimp and about 1/2 to 3/4 of the pasta. had a side of mashed butternut squash..AMAZING..i might dream about it. Given my new found sweet tooth, I have decided to only allow myself dessert at night..tonight I had vanilla ice cream (low fat) with fat free chocolate sauce and two chocolate chip cookies...I think all of that was about 400 calories and DELISH.amazing...ahh..so yummy. I am amazed at the quality and choices on the menu. it is also nice because the dining experience makes you feel like you are on vacation. ending the day with a massage was great and relaxing..


Ahhh...

Looking forward to tomorrow with some Yoga, Zumba (first time..yay!!), Cardio Tennis and more!!! Also am going to confirm my word selection and my goals for 2011....hope everyone is doing well and thanks for the support and comments...I'm so happy I did this...I will try to read as much as possible over next few days but might try to post so i capture my feelings/emotions from the day and then catch up on blogs (promise I will and comment!) on the train ride back..want to soak in all my time here.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy! I remember that butternut squash! And the ice cream with chocolate sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo! Canyon Ranch is on my to-do list! Enjoy it all! Let's make a plan to meet up early in the New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are having a good time. Zumba is my fav. I do it 3-4x a week. You will be dripping with sweat after that, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan...food is divine..delish! So true what you said about overeating though..thank goodness for the band!

    Vickie, noted you in my day 2 post but LOVE LOVE LOVE zumba..so awesome...

    Catherine, it has been on mine for about 7 years and it is amazing..you must do it, especially now that you are below your goal weight. I think I will even like it more next time I come, hoping I'm in better shape weight wise and physically! And yes, would love to get together in the new year..would be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete