Thursday, December 9, 2010

Some victories/some things to work on...

I have been thinking about how I need to blog more, so thought I would evaluate where I am thus far...As I think about everything, there are some things I have done very well and other things I need to work on/do...I think it will be good to post about some of these (and some I have posted about before) to then look back and see if I improved on my "to dos."

In terms of some of the positives, first and foremost I have really worked on my emotional eating. Yes, the band has helped tremendously, but I have also found that I am now better recognizing my tendencies...while I still often have the urge to turn to food when sad, mad, bored, etc. I have made great strides in recognizing I am not really hungry and have found alternative ways to deal with them. I have definitely not conquered this, and not sure I ever will, but made huge strides. I have also done a good job of limiting my portion sizes; it took me awhile but I have definitely done this and become satisfied with less. I have also not given up despite some slip ups and plateaus..I still have a long road ahead, but I have kept motivated and positive. Also, for the most part. I also generally (not always) try to make decently healthy choices while not ever depriving myself of anything. These are what come to mind the most

In terms of to dos, EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE...I could come up with many "valid" excuses as to why I have not done it, but I will not even dare. I know how important it is, on this journey and for my overall health, but I have not done it yet, not even a little. Pilates (which i would actually count as a positive) I do and love, but I need some cardio to get my blood pumping and to get my heart healthier. I know I will do it and will start to love it...soon I hope. The other big things for me are eating slower and smaller bites. I do a pretty good job when I am out to dinner or in social situations (because I think I'm nervous about having a problem in addition to engaging with others), but at work and at home I have a lot to improve upon, particularly at work, where I often eat 3 meals a day. I think it has to do with focus and time. I have to say it is hard!!I have made great strides but more to come! I also need to not drink while eating (again, out to dinner with glasses of wine never really an issue, just at work or home!). In addition, must focus more on protein, which I know will help me in this process. Also need to balance my newfound sweet tooth. I will never deprive myself but it seems that I can't have just one cookie or piece of candy...hopefully will be able to soon. There are more I am sure, but these are what come to mind the most (and, this is the second time writing this post as I accidentally deleted the entire thing the first time)...

Overall, with the good and the bad, this is just the best thing I have done, and I am so thankful...I will continue to push and hope to keep progressing...

2 comments:

  1. Megs,
    Your words make me proud to be your Mother. You have set sail on a journey to health. I so commend you on reaching various important points &
    facing them "head-on", not circumventing, staying on course despite various pitfalls. And, there is that thirst for doing & being your personal best. You are constantly moving forward & re-evaluating where you've been and where your going. That, along with your enthusiastic mind, heart and soul ( that you touch others with along the way) make you very special to me. With all you're doing and you still make time to love your Mother with all your might.
    Well, your unconditional love & devotion have not only helped me get to "my" next step but it takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea to step back to look at what you have done well and what you could improve. I think I need to do that myself. Exercise is something I'm also working on.

    ReplyDelete